Monday, October 19, 2009

The Golden Bookmarking Site

What do you do when you find a website that you really like? In my case, I clicked on the yellow star on the top with the words "favorites" next to it (on Internet Explorer's toolbar).

Over time, my favorites section grew larger and larger, so, I had to start organizing and making folders and subfolders to categorize the various websites. I had folders for everything from entertainment, music, shopping, school, art, and the list went on and on. Then, one day, I had to get my computer reformatted and guess what happened? All my favorites just went down the drain. The funny thing is I don't remember anything I had in my favorites. I know there were probably about 50 websites in there. The favorites button played a purpose of collecting all the websites that I liked, but, I rarely went back to see the websites again because it was just hard to go through the list and find the specific websites (even though they were separated into categories).

I haven't been really using the favorites button after I got my computer reformatted, which was about a couple months ago. I may be experiencing PTSD(post traumatic stress disorder) from losing ALLLLLLLLLL my favorites.... There are only about a handful of websites that I use on a regular basis that I can easily remember, which include: Gmail, Google, Facebook, Teachers College, Youtube, Craigslist, Hulu (to watch Dollhouse and Glee), and a couple other school related websites (ex. Blackboard, Moodle, Blogspot,etc.). Whenever I open my Internet Explorer, the first thing I see are two windows - one for gmail and one for google. For the school related websites, I have them all lined up neatly on my toolbar. Therefore, there was no need to resort to my favorites button.

For the class assignment, I had to check out various bookmarking websites. There are actual websites that bookmark and gather all your favorites in one convenient portable manner. Therefore, all you have to do is just log on and start saving all your favorites in there instead of trying to remember if you saved your favorites at your work computer or your home computer. One of the course instructors posted a very informative video which provided a step by step instruction to access the following bookmarking websites:

However, when I actually went on Kaboodle and Clipmarks, it just felt foreign and difficult to navigate. Kaboodle seemed to have too many things on there that I wasn't interested in and I just felt confused and irritated.



Then, I went to Diigo and it was "the cherry" on top of my ice cream. It was the golden bookmarking site that I was looking for. It was simple, well organized, and satisfied my needs. It had the simple texts and simple colors (nothing fancy or flashy) and everything was laid out in such an easy to use manner. I really liked the tags, snapshot, preview, and share buttons.



Just to give you a comparison, if Kaboodle is like MySpace, Diigo is like Facebook. We all know Facebook is awesome! I have also checked out the famous delicious site(http://delicious.com/) and it was another bookmarking site that fell under my positive experience category.
I liked how it was laid out in a very simple layout similar to that of Diigo. I liked how I was able to import my websites that were in the favorites button. It would have been nice if I knew about this before I had to clean my computer. I also liked how it showed the date when the bookmark was added and the number of people that have bookmarked it. I will definitely be using Diigo and Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment